27th Infantry Regiment History
The 27th Infantry Regiment was established by act of Congress on 2 February 1901 and saw its first combat action while serving as part of the American Force sent to quell the Philippine Insurrection on the island of Mindanao.
The tenacious pursuit tactics of the regiment won the respect of the Bolsheviks, who gave them the name “Wolfhounds.” This emblem continues to serve as the symbol of the 27th Infantry Regiment.
On 1 March 1921, the 27th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the Hawaiian Division. It served in the Hawaiian Division for over twenty years until it was relieved on 26 August 1941, and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division.
Stationed in Hawaii, they were some of first to fire back at attacking Japanese war planes during Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor. The film and book by James Jones From Here to Eternity was based on some of the Wolfhound regimental life. After seeing extensive action in the Pacific theater during World War II, specially on the island of Guadalcanal during the Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse, it fought in the last days of the New Georgia Campaign on the right flank on the advance on Munda, Solomon Islands, later during the Battle of Luzon and the ensuing occupation of Japan, the 27th Infantry Regiment earned the nickname “Gentle Wolfhounds” for their loving support of the Holy Family Orphanage.
Occupation duties were cut short in July, 1950, when the 27th Infantry Regiment departed for Pusan, Korea, to assist in holding the Pusan perimeter at the onset of the Korean War. The unit saw heavy action throughout the war, where they were considered the “fire brigade” for the 25th Infantry Division – in essence, making first combat contact with enemy forces. They saw significant fighting at Sandbag Castle. The commander of the 27th Infantry Regiment offered David Hackworth command of a new volunteer raider unit; Hackworth created the 27th Wolfhound Raiders and led them from August to November 1951. The 27th earned ten campaign streamers and three Presidential Unit Citations. Upon conclusion of hostilities in Korea, the unit returned to Schofield Barracks.
The 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, entered the Vietnam War in January, 1966. During their five-year stay in Vietnam, the unit earned two valorous unit citations, and proved to be one of the last 25th Infantry Division units to return home. The Regiment participated in Operation Junction City and fought during the Tet Offensive. The regiment finally returned to Hawaii in April, 1971.
On 10 June 1987, the 2nd Battalion was relieved from their assignment to the 25th Infantry Division, and assigned to the 7th Infantry Division at Fort Ord, California. During their tour at Fort Ord the 2nd and 3rd Battalions were deployed to Honduras in 1988 in support of “Operation Golden Pheasant” and in 1989 they were deployed to Panama in support of “Operation Just Cause.” On 15 September 1993, the battalion was inactivated and relieved from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division.
The 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, was again activated on 31 August 1995, and this unit again carries its thirty battle streamers and twelve unit citations on its colors. The motto “Nec Aspera Terrent” translates to “Frightened by no Difficulties,” as “Aspera” is Latin for “Work” or “Difficulty” and “Terrent” is Latin for “Fear,” the same root as “Terror.” It is often stated as “No Fear on Earth.”
The 4th Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, was active in the 3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (L) at Schofield Barracks on the island of Oahu in Hawaii during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Also assigned to the 3rd Brigade was the 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment. Elements of 4th Battalion were deployed during Operation Desert Storm and served as guards for Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf during their deployment. They also participated in clearing operations in Kuwait and a security element for later peace talks.
Source is Wikipedia with links to various actions creating the 27th Infantry History.
If you have any comments or wish to contract the CRIPS please use the contact form below.
The CRIP unit was part of the 27th Infantry Division, 2nd Battalion stationed at Bao Trai and the “Sugar Mill” Duc Hue along the Cambodian Border. This area was known as the “Parrot’s Beak” and to many of us as the “Horseshoe” because of the Oriental River’s course as it flowed between South Vietnam and Cambodia creating a natural border.